Dental Night Guards in Emporia, KS
Prevent Jaw Pain & Broken Teeth
In the United States alone, one in 15 adults suffers from debilitating sleep disruptions. Of these people, 80% are undiagnosed and experience symptoms like teeth grinding or severe bruxism.
If this sounds like you, the good news is that Emporia Family Dental Care in Emporia, KS has the solution for you. We treat bruxism effectively and affordably through custom-fitted night guards that can help reverse the effects of grinding. Contact us today to discuss treatment options and how we can help you get a better night’s sleep.
What is a Dental Night Guard or Bite Splint?
A dental night guard, also referred to as a bite splint, is a covering used to protect the upper and lower teeth from injury and wear due to grinding and/or clenching. Depending on the solution you need, they can move either the upper or lower jaw forward. There are several different types that address different needs:
- Stock mouth protectors: These ready-to-wear hard night guards are easy to order online or find at many department or sporting goods stores. However, they don’t provide a precise fit, and their hard acrylic material makes them uncomfortable to wear.
- Boil and bite mouth protectors: Unlike its stock counterpart, this soft night guard becomes flexible when placed in hot water. They are made with thermoplastic material and fit more precisely around the tooth enamel.
- Custom-fitted mouth protectors: These teeth protectors are created in dental laboratories and provide a customized fit. Though typically costlier than other varieties, they offer the best protection against grinding and clenching.
- Hybrid night guard: A hybrid pro teeth guard is made with dual laminate material that is soft on the inside and hard on the outside. This ultra-thin guard is ideal for patients with serious mouth damage and offers excellent protection against severe grinding.
The Advantages of Wearing a Night Guard
Teeth grinding or clenching isn’t the only problem a night guard can solve – wearing one can also provide the following benefits:
Over time, grinding can make your teeth shift and negatively impact your muscles and ligaments. Without immediate attention, you can even potentially develop temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ). Fortunately, a night guard can reduce instances of tension and pain.
Improved Quality of Sleep
Tightened jaw muscles can be highly disruptive to your sleep. When you wear a night guard, the muscles surrounding the teeth and jaw begin to relax, improving your sleep patterns.
Did you know that bruxism and joint pain are contributing factors to tension headaches? Thankfully, a night guard can help relieve tension, dull headaches, and even neck pain.
Works With Braces
If you wear braces or a dental bridge, wearing a night guard can prevent potential injuries, especially if you are an active athlete. A properly fitted night guard can help prevent nerve damage, chipped teeth, or bone loss, which can occur with braces.
Proper Night Guard Care
Whether you wear hard or soft night guards, caring for them is relatively easy. To keep your guard in good shape, take note of the following tips:
- Rinse your night guard in cold water, washing it with mild soap and a toothbrush.
- Store your night guard in a secure, perforated container when not in use.
- Prevent distortion by avoiding hot water and hot surfaces.
- Check your guard for general wear and tear. Get them adjusted at our Emporia, KS dentist’s office as necessary.
The Cost of Dental Night Guards
The type and material used to make your night guard determines the cost. Some ready-to-buy products come with a DIY impression kit, which is the least expensive. However, one-size-fits-all products can end up costing you more in the long run, as they can quickly become warped or ill-fitting and require frequent replacement.
The best and most affordable way to prevent tooth damage is to visit your dentist. At Emporia Family Dental Care, we can provide medical advice to prolong the lifespan of your dental guards – guaranteeing you the best value for your money.
Halt the Effects of Teeth Grinding Today
For a custom-fit solution to your grinding problem, visit Emporia Family Dental Care. We take the time to get to know our patients’ unique requirements to ensure peak dental health. If you want to reap the benefits from the best of the best dental professionals, give us a call today!